Sports Opportunities For Businesses
Coventry On The Move set the Healthy Challenge!
With the average person spending 60% of their waking time at work and approximately one in four people in Coventry, Solihull and Warwickshire being obese, we need to encourage activity and sport into the working day, lunch time or after work.
We are looking to work with a variety of organisations to:
- Promote the benefits and range of physical activity and sport opportunities available to employees
- Support the delivery of taster sessions, courses of activities and competitions in organisations across the sub region.
- Encourage employer led volunteering within the workplace
In order to achieve this we are looking to identify Volunteer Activators in as many organisations across the sub region as possible. Activators are a point of contact in an organisation which we will provide support and information to regarding the sports opportunities on offer. As a minimum, Activators would be asked to communicate this information to other members of staff however, they may want to take this role further and become a sport leader, by arranging inter departmental or business to business sporting activities.
The confederation of British Industry has estimated, in 2008, 172 million working days were lost due to absence, costing the UK businesses a total of £13 billion. Activity programmes within the workplace can help address these issues. Research has concluded that wellness programmes can impact directly on:
- Sickness and absence
- Staff turn over
- Company profile
- Raised moral and motivation
- Increased competitiveness and profitability
There are lots of opportunities to volunteer in Sport, either within the workplace or the wider community. Employee volunteer schemes offer many benefits to an organisation and its employees including:
- Staff motivation
- Contributing to training and performance development of staff
- Increases employee job satisfaction, which improves corporate culture
- Recruitment and retention of employees
- Community support, which raises awareness of the Local Business
Surveys have shown that volunteers report increases in leadership, communication, and teamwork skills of between 65% and 80%. It is this kind of impact that led IBM to describe their programme as; “a powerful way of increasing the skills and enthusiasm of our employees”.*
* More than CV points? The Benefits of Employee Volunteering for Business and individuals. The Social Market Foundation, March 2010
What CSW Sport can offer........
- Information on local opportunities to take part in Sport
- CSW Sport can send your identified 'Activator' details of opportunities which are available to your staff to take part in sport and physical activity across Coventry, Solihull & Warwickshire. All we ask is that the 'Activator' promotes these opportunities within your organisation.
Activators can organise a group of staff to attend an existing local sports session, or get a team together to enter a local sports league or one off festival.
Get a group of staff together to do some sport at lunchtime or after work, CSW Sport can provide support with identifying the type of activities available and any training which is required.
Activators can support and be trained to sustain ‘Get Back Into’ activities or they could organise a Community Games.
For further information or to arrange a meeting, please contact
Business Partnership Manager
E email@example.com or T 07885 200479