Minimum Standards for Active Coaches of Children and Young People - Additional Guidance Tool
This interactive tool provides guidance to you as a coach on:
The minimum qualification (as stated by the relevant governing body of sport) required for a lead coach coaching children and young people in the following environments:
- Primary school
- Secondary school
- Community/local authority
- Additional important information the governing body recommends should be considered alongside the qualification
- Recommended additional training identified by the governing bodies of sport, sports coach UK and other key partner organisations to be considered alongside coaching qualifications.
Please Note: Some Local Authorities may operate a local register of approved school coaches and/or their own guidance on Minimum Standards for Active Coaches. In such instances Local Authority guidance may take precedence over the information contained within this guidance tool.
Where do I access this information?
Please click here to access the interactive tool which is continually updated by UK Coaching.
Governing Body of Sport Coach Registration and Licensing Scheme Guide
The purpose of this guide is to highlight which governing bodies of sport have coach registration and licensing schemes in place, and wanted/were able to be included in the guide at this time.
For each scheme, it will outline:
- who the registration or licensing scheme is for – which coaches can apply
- the key elements of the scheme
- the benefits of being involved (the benefits package associated with the scheme)
- the re-accreditation process
- an example of a registration or licensing scheme card (where supplied by the governing body of sport).
Guidance for Coaches in Primary Schools
You may find these posters useful in your work with primary schools. They have been developed by national partners to assist schools in employing and deploying coaches and also in identifying appropriate professional learning for teachers.
Employment and Deployment of Coaches
Other Good Practice Documents
Head to UK Coaching website for more information around good practice.